Full-Time Senior Finance Officer
With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population in Borno.
In response to the ongoing crisis, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps is looking for a Senior Finance Officer responsible for leading the finance function in Maiduguri Office.
This person will ensure accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will primary be responsible for managing the monthly accounting cycle at the field office.
Essential Job Functions
Daily management of the finance Assistant(s) in Maiduguri office
• Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer
• Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger and all supporting documentation in all country offices.
• Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including set up and maintenance of new project accounts, regular back-up of files, etc.
• Review and upload data to the general ledger
• Receives all monthly field projections and prepares revenue recognition entries and other final closing journal entries
• Enter, post and maintain filing of monthly journal entries and prepares month end balance sheet account reconciliations.
• Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
• Assist in the training and support staff in the field office including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
• Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests
• Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries at the field level
• Conduct monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks at beneficiary sites
• Review field financial reports for correctness and completeness and ensure that reports are submitted on time.
• Follow up on all compliance issues, audits and document resolutions.
• Maintain tracking as well as financial files in accordance with the Field Finance Manual.
• Process payments and reconcile financial tracking to general ledger reports.
• Conduct him/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to mercy corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by Mercy Corps Country Program.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
A University Degree in Accounting is required.
Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
A professional accounting qualification (ACA or ACCA preferable)
Five years’ experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software (ability to use Serenic navigator would be an advantage)
Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in English Hausa, and preferably also in Kanuri.
The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to locations such as Dikwa and Ngala according to the needs of the Mercy Corps program.
This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to ApplyApplicants should submit their CV and cover letter in one document, addressing the position [indicating which site this job ad was found].
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit https://www.sauberfuss.com/jobs/ to apply for this job. Note All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunities organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.