Full-Time Senior Grants and Compliance Officer
Location: Roaming – Northeast Nigeria
Mercy Corps, is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
Program / Department Summary
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Field Finance Manager, the Roaming Senior Grants and Compliance Officer will assist the Northeast Program in adhering to the compliance procedures.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Create a sustainable work environment of mutual respect that attracts motivated, skilled and effective team members and enables them individually and collectively to strive to achieve excellence.
- Contribute to field office team-building efforts; build constructive internal relationships; help team members identify problem solving options and ensure integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Support the finance team to develop their technical finance skills through routine coaching and guidance.
- Assist the Field Finance Manager to enhance the efficient of existing control system and ensure any identified compliance gap is corrected.
- Assist Field Finance Manager in conducting monthly financial review for Northeast program and follow up with other departments for any corrective actions required.
- Set up and maintain filing systems of all protocols and important documents for the project.
- Assist in monitor and follow up with any compliance issue when arising.
- Track and ensure all compliance documents such handover note, distribution list, and attendance sheet is collected and verified.
- Conduct technical review for the project side
- Work closely with the Field Finance Manager and other department to ensure the Standard Operating Procedures for voucher redemption followed properly.
- Release and track voucher cards.
- Ensure distribution lists for un-conditional cash transfers and cash grants are verified, reconciled and archived properly.
- Conduct compliance orientation trainings for voucher vendors.
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
- Assist in the training and support staff in the field office including answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries at the field level
- Conduct monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks at beneficiary sites
- Prepare bank reconciliation on monthly basis.
- Prepare journal entries to the navigator.
- Assist in the month end accounting close process for Northeast program, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, navigator and all supporting documentation.
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to the main office.
– Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
– Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- Four or more years of compliance finance experience is required.
- A University degree in Finance, Accounting or equivalent is required.
- Two years’ experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
In particular, the successful candidate will be willing to travel to locations such as Damboa, Dikwa, Ngala and other LGAs of Northeast program according to the needs of the Mercy Corps program. This will mean sometimes staying and working in stressful environments with very basic living conditions, strictly following security protocols at all times and sometimes working long and irregular hours
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to ApplyApplicants should submit their CV and cover letter in one document, addressing the position requirements [indicating which site this job ad was found].
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit https://www.sauberfuss.com/jobs/ to apply for this job. Note All applications must include the position title in the subject line, be not more than four pages. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunities organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.